Monday, January 08, 2007

Begin at the beginning

Yeah, ok........where exactly would that be? It's a significantly overwhelming prospect, putting your life in order and into boxes. I gathered all the stray paper in the dining area on Saturday, bills and such, sorted it, and succeeded in creating a new, albeit smaller pile, which then got ignored on Sunday because I treated myself to church and then felt out of whack the rest of the day, because I haven't been to church in like, a year. Glad I went, intend to go back some more before we escape, but I was at loose ends the rest of the day.

Things to do this week (this includes the coming weekend):

1. File that pile.

2. Toss the rest of the newspapers in the foyer. (a husby job)

3. Get the kitchen clean and keep it that way. (a joint husby-wifey job)

4. Toss the papasan chair...I've cut the cord on this sucker. Called 2 thrift-type places but they won't take it without the cushion, which makes sense. Besides, while it was the first piece of furniture I bought on my own, it also represents a pretty lousy time in my life. It'll be therapeutic, tossing it into the dumpster.

5. Toss the couch. Still wrapping my mind around this one...haven't sat on the blasted thing in months because we put the papasan chair on top of it when we inherited the wing chair from Terra (my knitting chair in the bedroom—sweet!). And it is still sooooooo comfy to sit on, so if I sit on it, it'll make it harder to cut the cord. But it needs to go, because we also have a matching 3-cushion couch with slightly oversized wing chair set taking up space in the living room, and if you've gotta choose, keeping the nice matching stuff makes much more sense. That chair is kick-ass to sit in for gaming, and it just makes sense to have a long couch in a living room, for hanging out and for company. We just plain don't have the room for the extra couch, and I don't see our sitch changing that much for the next year or three, so why move it up there? I've had delusions of putting a slipcover on it and redoing the pillows, but it still comes down to not having the room. The cats have torn it up on both sides, so again, thrift stores won't touch it, so I'm going to keep the pillows and cushions (for the cats and our bed, and to keep up the delusion/dream of recovering them) and toss the body.

6. Rearranging the dining area, i.e. putting the computer back on the dining room table, moving the boxes around, and tossing the corkboard. The cats have torn up part of that sucker too, and I really want the computer back on a sturdy surface. We don't eat off the dining room table right now anyway.

That only looks like a lot because I'm long-winded, so I'll also be starting lists this week. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be updating the MS Windows XP anytime soon, so I've got to figure some stuff out longhand, which is fine. It'll take longer, but probably will make more sense in my head, when I'm looking at lists on paper as opposed to on screen. When you buy a Dell, you get what, 3 months of everything free? And then you still need to buy the MS stuff, like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Well, our 3 months was up before Christmas, but of course, we don't have the spare dough.

What kind of lists? If we can afford a first wave of boxes, how many and what size? Should we try to make the boxes all common sizes? Should we go through the stuff that's already in boxes, try to break it down further? Need to go to the office with the paperwork from when they tried to evict us, because I'm 90% sure that never got cleared up on the county court end, which means we could be trying to move with an incorrect eviction on our record...so gotta give them copies of our stuff to give to their lawyers and straighten it all out. As soon as we're up to date on the water bill, gotta approach the company about grandfathering into one of their other complexes. Gotta hit Columbia again and peruse all 5 of the AIMCO complexes for feasibility. Gotta find out how soon I can get financial aid info from Midlands Tech for the '07-'08 school year. Gotta finish the blasted SS paperwork, as well as the WIA paperwork, and send in the SS stuff.

So I've got a few things on my mind. Lists and writing it down further will help organize these thoughts and not make me so crazy about them.

No comments: