Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wow. Work cut out for me.

Just started a list of potential expenses for the move to NC. It's a tall order.

I used to be quite the list maker, anal Virgo and all that, but it's dropped off significantly in recent years and with it, my personal/mental/physical organization. It's not pretty, but this isn't about that. It's about looking at a list and thinking, damn, I've got some serious work to do and it all hinges on things I'm not even sure are realistic yet.

Like will our credit even allow us to move?

Like what if I can't find a decent paying job?

Those are the biggies. But those concerns aside, it's a matter of making lists that spring off of this list, and compiling information through research, to determine the true costs and how to make them work for this move. I think I have the money, and there's a ceiling I wish/we have to honor as to how much of that money is used; so it's time to iron out the details.

The first list, Potential Expenses:

1. New house (rental)
a. Application fee
b. First months' rent
c. Security deposit equal to one months' rent
d. Possible realtor commission
e. Landlord bribe :) (hopefully just kidding)

2. Moving van (UHaul, Budget, Penske, etc.) & boxes

3. House amenities
a. Washer/dryer rental or purchase (thinking we rent first, save to purchase)
b. Lawn mower (unless we're lucky enough to have a landlord that offers landscaping, but I'm not holding my breath...this is an expense that can maybe wait until the first paycheck or two of a new job)
c. Couch (we're throwing the old one out; it's not making the trip with us)

4. Utilities
a. New deposits/installation costs
1. Water/sewer
2. Electric/gas
3. Cable (initially, though Les is itching for a dish, so ?)
4. Garbage/recycling

5. Food/drink bribes for Cyril and friends to come help us load the truck on moving day.

More later...let the research begin!

No comments: