Monday, April 26, 2010

Repositioning the dream

Last week was a week of reality checks. I'm taking it really well, relieved in fact, which tells me I'm doing the right thing by not rushing this.

The plain truth is even if we liquidated a portion of my 401(k) (which I am willing to do, if it means starting a new life in a new place), we wouldn't have enough money and our credit isn't in good enough shape yet to move. So we'll be renewing the lease here in Jax. That hurts, of course, because the apartment really is a pit, and we've been there for 11 years now. But it's necessary. So the dream shifts again.

Haven't given up, of course...far from it. Want to renew the lease for just 7 months...need to get with the complex, see if they're going to charge more for that over the 12. Can't stand the idea of going another 12, and that would make us out of here next March, which is a good month to move.

It's helped me see what I want in a house and in a home. When I say house, I mean the initial rental; when I say home, I mean when we're able to buy. How much land I want, what kind of animals I'd like to raise on that land, what amenities I'm looking for in a house. Feeds the dream nicely.

North Carolina's still very much in the cards...we're visiting the inlaws in SC next month, and I'm hoping to get to Charlotte at least, to look around. In the meantime, I continue to live vicariously through Cold Antler Farm, I've started Les's social security disability paperwork again finally, and I'm working on a promotion to help finance the dream.

No comments: