Monday, July 26, 2010

A little slice of heaven

We moved Meara up to Charlotte the weekend of July 4th. I took exactly 3 pictures the whole time we were there, and 2 of them were en route. Instead I just looked at everything with big eyes and soaked it up like a sponge. My memories kept me inside my own head for days after we got back from NC.

Florida has a feel to it that's quite different from New England. The tropical landscape and weather bring something else to the table that I can't clearly define. I just know that even after 25 years of living in Florida, I still miss the environment of New England. The air feels different.

South Charlotte, NC, where my sis has planted herself for now, is beyond gorgeous: long stretches of high-end suburbia with more green than you can shake a stick at; deliberate, aesthetically handsome neighborhoods; and weather that turns fair in the evenings, even in July. The facades they've created for businesses are really something, designed so you can barely tell it's a McDonald's or a PF Chang's.

Just thinking about it to write about it puts me back there, cruising the streets with Meara getting to know the area, even just a little. We drove with the windows down and breathed deeply. We saw fireflies at night.

I'm confident I've found a city I can live near, where I'll be happy.

No comments: