Thursday, November 02, 2006

Could be worse

Jacksonville really isn't bad, as cities go. It's big, so it's always going to have that sprawl feel, and the crime rate is a little high for my liking, and I don't know that I'd like to enroll my future kids in any public school in this town, but there's a comfort level attached to any place when you've lived there for going-on 10 years. I could follow my nose basically anywhere in this city and find my way home (well, there's probably some nooks and crannies on the westside that are still foreign to me), and I've found my niche with an amazing group of friends. It is going to be hard to leave.

But cooler weather does beckon, and to ensure that we're not making a decision in haste, I made a list this week of all the 2- and 4-year schools in SC and the programs they offer that Les is interested in. I'm pressing him to make a decision about his future, whether or not he wants to stay with nursing or go into something environmental, because wherever we land, I want him back in school by next fall at the latest. I hope to be pregnant by that time too, so it'll require some serious organization. Columbia is the plum decision, as it's a major city by SC standards, it's centrally located, close enough to visit his folks, far enough away to have our own lives (well, hopefully - Jade lives there now and is getting nagged constantly about not visiting enough); but if there's a better city/town out there for us, I want to make sure it doesn't pass us by because we're too focused on one place. I'm probably going to be stuck working a bit this weekend, but in my spare time, I'll be fleshing out that search, to ensure we're making an informed decision.

No comments: